I’ve always thought of Korg as a lower-quality alternative to the likes of Roland, Nord, and even Yamaha. Looking at the new Krome Music Workstation however, my opinion seems unfairly prejudiced. The Krome is available with 61, 73, or 88 keys, semiweighted in the case of the former two, and natural weighted in the latter – reproducing the touch of an acoustic piano, with a heavier feel in the low register, and a lighter feel in the upper register. A huge PCM memory and 8 velocity levels provide a truly expressive playing experience.
All 3 models feature acoustic piano, electric piano, drum, and many other synthesised sounds as standard. 2 Oscillators, 4 filters, 2 envelope generators, LFOs, AMS mixers, and 3-band EQ gives you a playground of sound design options – plus, you can combine up to 16 timbres or 120 voices to create unique layers.
In addition to the hardware options, Krome comes bundled with Korg’s Krome Editor and Krome Plug-in Editor software. As you’d imagine, the Krome Editor is a standalone package which allows you edit the keyboard’s sounds via a friendly user interface, while the Plug-in editor runs as VST/RTAS/AU to integrate the Music Workstation into your DAW.
The integrated sample library includes sounds from the flagship Korg Kronos, offering 640 programs, 288 combinations, 900 arpeggiator patterns, and more than 600 drum track grooves. TouchView display control of the onboard 16-track sequencer enables you to start recording tracks as soon as inspiration strikes – which after all is the aim of the game!
- The Korg workstation ideal for any style of piano playing
- Kronos-derived full length, unlooped piano and drum sounds, plus new electric pianos designed to shine on stage
- Electric pianos with eight-level velocity switching for unmatched expressive power
- Clear, intuitive control with Korg’s exclusive 7-inch color TouchView™ display
- Drums offering separately mixable direct and ambient sounds for studio-grade quality
- Drum Track plays back realistic, inspiring grooves at the touch of a button
- Expertly created, in-demand sounds including 640 Programs and 288 Combinations
- Powerful Effects with 5 Inserts, 2 Master, and 1 Total FX, plus per track/timbre EQ
- Distinctive aluminum panel design exudes a sense of quality
- USB connection to your computer, plus an SD Card slot for data storage
- You can use the Krome editor to edit sounds on your computer
- Available in 61, 73, and 88 key models.