Moog’s highly successful Phatty line now has a new member in the super low-end Sub Phatty synth. According to Moog’s president, Mike Adams, “We set out to design the grittiest Moog synth ever, one that still offers all of the great sound and flexibility that Moog synthesizers are known for, but that also really has teeth.”
Semi-weighted keys, pitch-bend, and Mod Wheel control an all-analogue monophonic sound engine with 2 variable waveshape oscillators, a square wave sub oscillator (pitched -12 semitones), and a noise generator.
Modulation-wise, the Sub Phatty has Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope sources, the destination of which can be set to pitch (or Osc 2 pitch only), Filter, or Waveshape. The Sub Phatty is the first analog synth to feature Moog’s transformative new Multidrive section; at low settings Multidrive adds warmth and girth, but when pushed, it delivers a screaming snarl that is highly reactive to resonance, waveshape, and oscillator level.
As with other members of the Phatty line, Sub Phatty ships with a free standalone or plug-in editor, by which its impressive under-the-hood features can be accessed in an intuitive user-friendly package.
· Sound Engine: Analog
· Number of Keys: 25
· Type of Keys: Semi-Weighted
· Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel
· Polyphony: Monophonic
· Sound Sources: 2 Variable Waveshape Oscillators, 1 Square Wave Sub Oscillator, 1 Noise Generator
· Oscillator Calibration Range: 22Hz-6.8KHz.Guaranteed note range at 8’ of Note 18 to 116
· Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope
· Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape
· Filter: Moog Ladder Filter 20Hz-20Khz
· Audio Input: 1xTS
· Audio Output: 1xTS, 1xTRS Headphone
· Presets: 4 Banks, 4 Patches Per Bank
· MIDI I/O: DIN In, Out, and MIDI over USB
· CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate
· Transposition: +/- 2 Octaves
· LFO: 0.1Hz-100Hz